Honoring Our Members
Each year, the West Texas Press Association honors members of the association with the presentation of two awards: The Harold Hudson Memorial Award and the Dewane Kelly Memorial “Friend of the Newspaper” Award.
The Harold Hudson Memorial Award
The award is presented annually to an outstanding member for his or her commitment to their community and the newspaper profession in West Texas.
- 1992 – Walter Buckel, Lamesa
- 1993 – Edward B. Harris, Graham
- 1994 – O. G. “Speedy” Nieman, Hereford
- 1995 – J. L. “Mike” Werst, Big Lake
- 1996 – James Roberts Andrews
- 1997 – Barbara Craig Kelly, Abilene
- 1998 – Bob Hamilton, Iowa Park
- 1999 – M. Gene Dow, Seminole
- 2000 – Bill Berger, Hondo
- 2001 – Jerry Tidwell, Granbury
- 2002 – Mark Jordan, Decatur
- 2003 – Rollie Hyde, Plainview
- 2004 – Roy J. Eaton, Decatur
- 2005 – Joe Thompson, Granbury
- 2009 – Bob Dillard, Fort Davis
The Dewane Kelly Memorial “Friend of the Newspaper” Award
The Dewane Kelly Memorial “Friend of the Newspaper” award is named for a man who became a member of the West Texas Press Association family by marriage. Upon his marriage in 1984 to Barbara Craig, WTPA’s secretary/treasurer, he quickly became an active part of the association.
His personality and willingness to do whatever was needed without complaining soon became the foundation for solid friendships with WTPA members and their families. Following his death in August 1999, the award was established to honor a person who unselfishly demonstrates concern and support for the betterment of community journalism through their involvement and actions in the West Texas Press Association.
The recipient may or may not be directly involved in the newspaper business.
- 2001 – Robert Burns, Sprint, Stephenville
- 2002 – Barbara Craig Kelly, WTPA, Abilene
- 2003 – Linda Caton, AEP, Abilene
- 2004 – Rick Craig, Hood County News, Granbury